**NB. Some of my papers are behind a paywall. If you would like me to send you a copy just email me at email@example.com
Levell, J., 2022, (In preparation) Boys, Childhood Domestic Abuse and Gang Involvement: Violence at Home, Violence On-Road. Policy Press
Levell, J., 2022, (Submitted) Navigating constructions of the ‘ideal victim’ among men who experience childhood DVA and gang involvement. in Contemporary Intersectional Criminology: Examining the Boundaries of Intersectionality and Crime.. Healy, J. & Colliver, B. (eds.). Policy Press
Levell, J., 2022, (Submitted) Internal homelessness and hiraeth: Boys’ spatial journeys between childhood domestic abuse and on-road. in Geographies of Gender-based Violence: A Multi-disciplinary Perspective . Bows, H. & Fileborn, B. (eds.). Policy Press
Levell, J. (2021). How to tackle the femicide epidemic. International Politics and Society.
Levell, J. (2021). Music Elicitation: Letting research participants call the tune. The Sociological Review. https://thesociologicalreview.org/magazine/november-2021/methods-and-methodology/music-elicitation/
Levell, J., 2021, On Masculinities: Navigating the tension between individual and structural considerations. Journal of Gender-Based Violence.
The reports completed as part of The Other Side of the Story: Perpetrators in Change are available on the project website: here
Levell, J., Healy, J., Cole, T., Harvey, O. & Pritchard, C., (2021) Time for Change Report: Other Side of the Story: Perpetrators in Change
Levell, J., Harvey, O., Healy, J., Cole, T., Pritchard, C. (2021) Country Report: United Kingdom: Other Side of the Story: Perpetrators in Change.
Levell, J., Petridou, I., Michael, I., Erotokritou, V., Economides, A., Iosif, M., Kallonas, N., Harvey, O., Healy, J., Cole, T. & Pritchard, C., (2021) Country Report: Cyprus: Other Side of the Story: Perpetrators in Change
Levell, J., Amazzoni, S., Baroncelli, L., Bisciglia, R., Cutini, S., De Maglie, M., Pauncz, A., Harvey, O., Healy, J., Cole, T. & Pritchard, C., (2021) Country Report: Italy: Other Side of the Story: Perpetrators in Change
Levell, J., Farcaș, R., Moldovan, B., Moisă, C., Oltean, I., Harvey, O., Healy, J., Cole, T. & Pritchard, C., (2021) Country Report: Romania: Other Side of the Story: Perpetrators in Change
Levell, J., Kostami, K. A., Kalodiki, R., Thanasoula, S., Spetsidis, N., Harvey, O., Healy, J., Cole, T. & Pritchard, C., (2021) Country Report: Greece: Other Side of the Story: Perpetrators in Change
Levell, J. (2020). Using Connell’s masculinity theory to understand the way in which ex-gang-involved men coped with childhood domestic violence. Journal of Gender Based Violence, xx(xx), 1–15. https://doi.org/10.1332/239868020X15857301876812
Molina, J., and Levell, J., (2020) Children’s experience of domestic abuse and criminality: A literature review. Published review of the Victims’ Commissioner for England and Wales. URL: https://victimscommissioner.org.uk/published-reviews/childrens-experience-of-domestic-abuse-and-criminality-a-literature-review/
Levell, J., (2019) “Those songs were the ones that made me, nobody ever asked me this question before”: Music Elicitation with ex-gang involved men about their experiences of childhood domestic violence and abuse. International Journal of Qualitative Methods.
Levell, J., (2017) [Book review] Young Men and Domestic Abuse by David Gadd, Claire L. Fox, Mary-Louise Corr, Steph Alger and Ian Butler. Children & Society, 31(6) (pp. 523-524)
Browne, K. Bourne, J. Levell, J. Desouza, E. Sohal, A. Ball, G. Willie, I. Shoyinka, B. Dennis, T. Bewley, S. Burkminsher, A. Nwosu, V. Nightengale, M. Oxley, A. Hopkins, D. Lowther, S. Smedley, L. Hayward, M. Murphy, W. Akonsa, Stevens, D. Oldman, C. Jennings, A. Watts, P. Hewitt, C. (2016) Department of Health. Health Visiting and School Nursing Programmes: supporting implementation of the new service model No.5: Domestic Violence and Abuse – Professional Guidance. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.12255.66720
Media Reports on my work
Webster, R., Children’s experience of domestic abuse and criminality. Work with Offenders. URL: https://www.workwithoffenders.co.uk/news/news_article/104333
Hymas, C., (2020) Children who experience domestic violence are more likely to engage in serious violence, study reveals. The Telegraph. URL: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/17/children-experience-domestic-violence-likely-engage-serious/
Guest vlog on the My POV website on young men who are on-road and gang-involved as the ‘hidden victims’. Take a look here
Guest speaker about my research into gang-involved young people who experience domestic violence in childhood, as part of the ‘Hidden Victims’ panel for the British Association of Social Work, 2020 https://www.basw.co.uk/events/invisible-victims-webinar
Visiting Lecturer in Gender Studies at the University of Prishtina, Kosovo, Summer 2019 (Funded by Erasmus+ programme)
Visiting Lecturer in Sociology and Criminology at The University of Southampton 2018-2019
- European Conference on Domestic Violence, Slovenia [Online] 2021
- European Society of Criminology Conference 2020
- Howard League for Penal Reform Conference, Oxford, 2020 *Cancelled due to COVID-19
- Eurogangs Conference, Germany 2020 *Cancelled due to COVID-19
- European Society of Criminology Conference, Ghent, Belgium, 2019
- Gender in Conflict conference: Wednesday 9 October 2019- Bournemouth University
- British Society of Criminology Conference 2019
- UEL Narrative Research Conference (‘To think is to experiment’) 2019
- SINS Narrative Research Summer School, Aarhus University Denmark (2018)
- The Faculty of Wellbeing, Education and Language Studies Conference (2018) presented on a case study showing use of music elicitation in narrative interviews.
- Open University Graduate School Student Conference (2017) presented on The Road Home study
- Psycho-politics of self-exposure in research, Aarhus University Denmark (2017)
- WAVE (Women Against Violence Europe) Conference in Bulgaria (2013) on Domestic Violence and Health Interventions
- RESPECT Conference (2014) workshop on identifying male victims in health settings
- Domestic Violence Coordinators Network (DVCN) Conference (2013) on using the Coordinated Community Response approach to DV and Health at the National